Pages

January 9, 2011

Italian Turkey Meatballs

Now that I'm not pregnant and the holidays are over, it's time to focus on my health again.  I've been having a hard time feeling good about myself since Dylan was born and really having a hard time getting back to eating well.  Eating well for me means limiting my grains, dairy and sugar.  Ha!  That's been quite the joke.  

So, for the month of January, I'm not eating any sugar, grains, or dairy.  We are nine days in and besides a little bit that I couldn't control, I've done extremely well.  I also feel my mood picking up.  I've been eating a ton of veggies and fruits and good meats.  It's not a bad way to be.  Today, I made turkey meatballs that were delicious.  Not sure what I'm going to use them for...so far we've just been snacking on them as is but I thought I'd share them with you.

Italian Turkey Meatballs
2 lbs ground turkey (I used the 7% fat turkey)
1 tsp fennel seed (ground into a powder in a coffee grinder I use as a spice grinder)
1 tsp each onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp each cumin, nutmeg and ginger
1 1/2 tsp each oregano, basil, thyme, salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten

Throw everything in a bowl and mix together like crazy.  Don't be afraid to get you hands in there.  Yes, it feels gross but it works great!  If you can, let the mixture sit in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.  Form into small balls and put on a broiler pan sprayed with cooking spray.  Spray the top of the meatballs and bake in oven at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

For more yummy ideas check out Pennywise Platter Thursday!

No comments:

Love Letters to My Sons..