Pages

September 17, 2011

Cabbage Goulash

We have a bit of cabbage...and by a bit, I really mean a LOT!  So, I needed something to use it up.  This recipe takes care of that and tastes pretty darn good.  It's like cabbage rolls with out the rolling part.

Cabbage Goulash

1 lb ground pork or pork sausage
1 lb ground beef
1 T Italian seasoning
1 tsp fennel seed, ground up a bit in mortar and pestle
1 T chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 14.5 oz cans of petite diced tomatoes
1  6 oz. can tomato paste
10-16 cups diced cabbage (I had one LARGE head that ended up being around 16 cups!, can do smaller ones too)
salt and pepper to taste

In large soup pot (and I mean large), brown the meats.  Add the spices and tomato products.  Stir around a bit.  Add the cabbage and cook on medium-low until the cabbage is cooked through.  

Be prepared to feed an army or freeze some for another meal!

No comments:

Love Letters to My Sons..