Pages

June 10, 2018

Pickled Red Onion

Kaely brought this recipe down to make when the whole family was here for Sylvia's birthday in April.  My taste buds have changed over the years because I don't think I would have enjoyed this even a few years ago.  But, now I find myself using them on salads, tacos, quesadillas, and even on the sweet potato/smoky pinto bean dip rounds I made for a party recently.  We now just keep them in the fridge for whenever.  I also like to cut them smaller than the original recipe - I still don't like big long strips of onion.

Pickled Red Onions (borrowed from here, posting here so I don't lose)

1 med to lg firm red onion, cut in half and then into strips and then into chunks (or just leave as strips if that's how you roll)
1 clove garlic
3 T white sugar
1.5 T salt
1/2 tsp whole peppercorns
1 c white vinegar


Bring everything but the onions to a boil and stir to dissolve the sugar and salt.  Turn down and add the onion, cooking for a minute or so.  Turn off, remove from heat, and let cool in the pan.  Once cool, store in the fridge in a glass container and enjoy!  The liquid can also be used on salads or in the Smoky Pinto Bean Dip I posted on here. 

No comments:

Love Letters to My Sons..