Pages

September 14, 2012

Lavender Butter Cream Frosting

I realize lavender is not a flavor most folks associate with edible items.  But, in certain situations, it can really be quite nice.  I used this on a lemon cake.  I wasn't terribly excited by the lemon cake so I'm not sharing it here but the frosting was yummy.  Many people who didn't know it was lavender thought it it was slightly fruity...or something :)  Really it's just a normal butter cream with dried lavender.

Lavender Butter Cream Frosting (borrowed from Icy Violets)
3 1/4 c powdered sugar
1 c butter, room temp.
1 tsp lemon juice
3 T milk
1-2 T dried lavender buds (picked them out of my front yard)

Beat the powdered sugar and butter together on low for about 1 minute.  Scrap the bowl down, then beat on medium for 2 minutes more.  Add the rest of the ingredients and beat on medium for another minute until fully incorporated.

NOTE: I misread the recipe at first and didn't put enough powdered sugar in.  Don't worry, it's totally forgiving.  Added the rest of the powdered sugar and it was fine.  Also, I added about equal amounts of red and blue gel food coloring to give it a light "lavender" color!

No comments:

Love Letters to My Sons..