The first time I cooked prime rib I was very intimidated. I mean first of all, it's super expensive. When done right it tastes amazing; when done wrong...omg it tastes terrible.
Years ago I found a recipe where you weighed your prime rib, cooked for a certain number of minutes per pound at a high temperature and then turned the oven off, walked away, and enjoyed an amazing roast. I had it booked marked for years and at Easter when I went to use it the webpage was no longer there. NOOOOOO!!!!! I found this recipe and it was close enough and boy did it deliver!
Don't fear the walking away...it turns out perfect!
1. Four hours before your going to cook your prime rib, take it out of the fridge.
2. Mix together: 1 T thyme, 1 T dried rosemary, 1 T fresh ground black pepper, 1 T garlic powder and 3 T salt.
3. Cut slits in the roast and insert 3-4 cloves sliced or minced.
4. Rub the spice mix all over the roast.
5. Let rest and come to room temp for the 4 hours.
6. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Once preheated, put roast in the oven for 5 minutes per pound (e.g a 9 lb roast cooks for 45 minutes while a 6 lb roast cooks for 30 minutes). It will likely smoke a bit; don't worry about it!
7. Once the amount of time has passed, turn the oven off and do not open for 2 hours!
That is it and it is amazing!!!!!