Pages

January 19, 2017

Date Sweetened BBQ Sauce

Not a huge fan of most bbq sauces and I don't use a lot so being able to make it when I need it is super helpful.  I made this one last night and used about half the batch to cook country style pork ribs.  Boys loved it and Jill and I thought it was pretty tasty as well.  Decided I wanted to keep track of it for future reference.  I used to use the one out of the Joy of Cooking but misplaced it.  I did add a bit of chipotle Tabasco and a shot of lemon juice because I remembered that from the Joy of Cooking one.  May find it again and compare the two at some point.

Date Sweetened BBQ Sauce

Date Sweetened BBQ Sauce

1 (14.5 oz) can tomato sauce (no oil or sugar added) (I didn't have this so I used two 8 oz cans and it was fine)
9 deglet dates
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
couple splashes of chipotle Tabsco sauce
about a teaspoon or so of lemon juice

Place all of the BBQ sauce ingredients in a medium pot over medium high heat. Bring to a simmer stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.

No comments:

Love Letters to My Sons..