Pages

November 11, 2018

Green tomato bread

A co-worker and I were talking about fried green tomatoes this week and I realized I still had tomatoes on the vine and it sounded good.  Jill and I had some last night and I enjoyed them.  In the process of looking for a recipe, I found a quick bread recipe that used green tomatoes.  Why not!  Turns out it's pretty darn tasty.  I adapted this recipe a bit; namely reducing the amount of sugar.  Jill thought the 1.5 cups of sugar was just right.  I'd like to try one cup next time.

Green tomato bread
3 eggs
1.5 c sugar
1 c oil
1 tsp vanilla
3 c gluten-free flour blend
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 T cinnamon
2 c green tomatoes, grated and then drained a bit in a strainer

Beat eggs in medium bowl.  Add sugar, oil, and vanilla and mix thoroughly.  Add dry ingredients and mix thoroughly; dough will be thick.  Mix in drained, grated tomatoes.  Divide evenly between two bread pans that have been greased.  Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 60 minutes.  Enjoy and share with others.

No comments:

Love Letters to My Sons..