Pages

September 21, 2009

Fresh Nectarine Pie (GF)

Can I just say oh my goodness?! I love this pie. Really, I hate cooked fruit so this is just perfect - a pie and eating a fresh nectarine! But, since I know gluten causes problems for me and my mom, I wanted to make a good gluten-free crust. It's hard enough for most people to just make a good regular crust. As you can tell, I'm a bit of a crust snob. This isn't 100% there but it's pretty darn good! I adapted a cooking.com recipe. We typically aren't huge rice flour fans around here...it's usually gritty so I avoided it. And, I am starting to veer away from potato starch as well. So, here it is...try it. I think you'll like it!


Fresh Nectarine Pie


For 1 nine inch crust (the bottom crust):
1/3 c millet flour
1/3 c tapioca starch flour
1/3 c corn starch
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c shortening
1/4 c cold butter
1 lg egg, cold
1 tsp apple cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sift together millet, tapioca flour, corn starch, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt.

Cut shortening and butter into dry ingredients. Blend with a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles small peas. Beat egg and vinegar together and mix into dough. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Roll out between plastic wrap or wax paper until slightly bigger than the pie pan (approx. 1.5 in) (NOTE: I use a gallon ziploc freezer bag, cut into two pieces. Stuff doesn't stick, it's pretty heavy and can be washed and reused multiple times!) Gently peel one side of plastic off and then lay it back down, flip over and gently peel the other side off. Then flip onto your hand, cover with the pie pan and flip over into the pan. Now, re-peel the first side off (you peeled it the first time so it would be easier this time). Make it look nice in the pan, trim the edges and crimp or whatever you like to do. I like to cover mine with a pie crust shield so the edges don't get too brown. Since we are going to use this as a pre-baked crust, poke the crust with a fork.

Bake in the oven 12-16 minutes or until it starts to brown a little. Let cool.


Fruit Filling
4 c nectarines, peeled and sliced
1/4 c sugar + 3 T cornstarch mixed together
1/4 tsp almond extract, optional

Measure 1 c nectarines and add enough water to bring it to 1 1/2 c. (if using almond extract add it now). Put into a small saucepan, bring to a boil, without stirring. Once boiling, add sugar/cornstarch mixture all at once and stir. Continue to stir and boil until the mixture thickens and gets clear (approx. 2 minutes). Remove from heat and let stand for about 10 minutes to cool. Put remaining sliced nectarines in the cooled pie shell. Pour cooled mixture over the top, making sure you cover all of the "raw" nectarines (this keeps them from turning brown). Chill for two hours...and try not to eat it all at once!


NOTE: Works great with peaches, blueberries (I increase the amount, pack them in), and strawberries. It's okay to have fun with it!

This is my contribution for Simply Sugar & Gluten Free's Slightly Indulgent Mondays.

1 comment:

Amy Green (Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free) said...

I love your tip about using a gallon ziploc bag to roll out the pie crust. What a great idea!

The texture of the slightly cooked nectarines and raw nectarines sounds just delicious.

Thanks so much for participating in Slightly Indulgent Mondays!

Love Letters to My Sons..