I adapted a recipe that the Sweet Pea Blogger calls No Corn Cornbread. I suppose it's yellow but otherwise I didn't find it anything like cornbread. However, it was tasty and works quite well in place of a scone in the morning with a lot healthier things going on for me :) It definitely needs to cool a bit to reduce the crumbliness but otherwise I enjoyed it!
Soft Breakfast "Cake"
1 c coconut flour
1/3 c + 2 T tapioca flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
3 eggs, separated
1/4 c honey
2 T grapeseed oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 c applesauce
1/2 c dairy-free milk (I used cashew milk)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a round baking dish (I used a cake round) (or an 8x8 baking dish).
2. Mix together dry ingredients.
3. Separate the egg whites into a separate bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients.
4. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry.
5. Whip the egg whites until frothy and gently fold into the batter.
6. Pour into the prepared pan and gently spread out. Cook for 20-30 minutes. It will still be fairly soft when done.
7. Remove from oven and let cool. It will be a bit crumbly but gets better especially after you refrigerate it. Good by itself or good with a little bit of fruit preserves on top.
Note: I liked the round pan because it allowed me to cut into wedges and that's probably why I thought it resembled scones :)