Chicken Enchilada Casserole
2 T butter
1 poblano chile, finely chopped
1 anaheim chile, finely chopped
1 clove garlic
2-3 pre-cooked chicken breasts - I used leftover fried chicken breasts
1/2 c quinoa cooked in 1 c. water
6 oz. tomato paste
18 oz water (three cans of water from the empty tomato paste can)
1 T chili powder
1 tsp each of cumin, garlic powder, salt and chipotle powder
1-2 c. corn (I used frozen, canned or fresh would be fine too)
18 small tortillas
1-2 c shredded cheddar (would be totally fine without it though)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring water to a boil and add quinoa. Turn heat down and cook for 15 minutes.
- Melt butter and saute garlic and peppers over medium heat in large pan. In separate pan, mix tomato paste, water and spices; bring to a simmer.
- Add chicken; cook until heated through.
- Add cooked quinoa and corn and 1 c. of sauce.
- Spray 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray. Put thin layer of sauce in bottom. Layer with 6 tortillas. Spread with another thin layer of sauce.
- Spread half of chicken mixture. Sprinkle a bit of the cheddar.
- Layer another 6 tortillas and sauce.
- Spread remaining chicken mixture.
- Layer remaining tortillas, sauce and cheese.
- Cover with foil and cook for 20 minutes.
For more yummy recipes, check out Pennywise Platter Thursday at The Nourishing Gourmet or Slightly Indulgent Tuesday at Simply Sugar & Gluten Free.