Pages

October 12, 2010

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

This recipe was so easy.  I hate making enchiladas with corn tortillas...even if I dip the tortillas in the sauce they seem to tear.  So, I cheat and just layer them!  I based this recipe on one I found at $5 Dinners.  Not sure why I've never thought of making my own enchilada sauce.  It was definitely an "Oh duh" moment.


Chicken Enchilada Casserole


2 T butter
1 poblano chile, finely chopped
1 anaheim chile, finely chopped
1 clove garlic
2-3 pre-cooked chicken breasts - I used leftover fried chicken breasts
1/2 c quinoa cooked in 1 c. water
6 oz. tomato paste
18 oz water (three cans of water from the empty tomato paste can)
1 T chili powder
1 tsp each of cumin, garlic powder, salt and chipotle powder
1-2 c. corn (I used frozen, canned or fresh would be fine too)
18 small tortillas
1-2 c shredded cheddar (would be totally fine without it though)
  1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Bring water to a boil and add quinoa.  Turn heat down and cook for 15 minutes.
  3. Melt butter and saute garlic and peppers over medium heat in large pan. In separate pan, mix tomato paste, water and spices; bring to a simmer.
  4. Add chicken; cook until heated through.
  5. Add cooked quinoa and corn and 1 c. of sauce.
  6. Spray 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray.  Put thin layer of sauce in bottom.  Layer with 6 tortillas.  Spread with another thin layer of sauce.
  7. Spread half of chicken mixture.  Sprinkle a bit of the cheddar.
  8. Layer another 6 tortillas and sauce.
  9. Spread remaining chicken mixture.
  10. Layer remaining tortillas, sauce and cheese.
  11. Cover with foil and cook for 20 minutes.
NOTE: This was not spicy...it was flavorful.  Add more spice or poblanos if you want it spicy. 

For more yummy recipes, check out Pennywise Platter Thursday at The Nourishing Gourmet or Slightly Indulgent Tuesday at Simply Sugar & Gluten Free.

1 comment:

Aiming4Simple said...

I'm glad to see a recipe that includes enchilada sauce. Maybe I'll finally make some enchiladas!

Love Letters to My Sons..