Pages

August 27, 2012

Beef Shawarma

There is a little hole in the wall that everyone should eat at in Grants Pass if they ever get the chance...Abu's Oasis Deli.  It's run by a lady and her husband and they make an amazing shawarma plate, gyros, and wonderful baklava!  But, I rarely get to Grants Pass.  This isn't exactly the same, but it's pretty darn close.  

We had it for dinner tonight with a dollop of the hummus I also posted this evening, tomatoes, and a dollop of my dairy-free Ranch dressing.  Andrew added tortilla chips.  Dylan was asleep ;) 

Can you tell I'm home more in the evenings and wanting to try these recipes I've been storing away for a while.  I got this recipe from the same lady as the hummus, Mexican Wildflower.

Beef Shawarma
1 lb beef, I think we used sirloin, she called for chuck roast...I also would be willing to do a bit more than 1 lb with the same amount of marinade
1 c yogurt
3 T shawarma spice mix
2 T lemon juice
2 T olive oil

Cut your meat into thin strips and mix together with the rest of the ingredients.  Let marinate in a Ziploc or bowl with a lid in the fridge overnight or for at least 4 hours.  Heat a cast iron skillet with a bit of coconut oil or your fat of choice.  Remove the strips from the marinade and cook the until done, turning once. Discard remaining marinade.  Enjoy!

Shawarma Spice Mix...from website called Jewish Recipe Trader
1 T cumin
1 T ground coriander
1 T garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Mix everything together!

No comments:

Love Letters to My Sons..